Tuesday, May 21st, 2019

Officials summoned in suit over Minneapolis police shooting

Published on May 8, 2019 by   ·   No Comments

A federal judge summoned Minneapolis city leaders to court on Wednesday after learning that the city had rejected an offer to settle a lawsuit over the killing of a black man by police in 2015 — with the rejection coming the same day the city announced it had agreed to pay $20 million to the family of a white woman killed by police.

U.S. District Judge Michael Davis said he got an email saying that the City Council rejected an offer to settle the case over the death of Jamar Clark on Friday — the same day the city made public that it agreed to pay $20 million to settle a lawsuit over the 2017 death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond.

“The court wants a full understanding of where we are, where we’re going in this matter,” Davis said.

The two deaths unfolded under different circumstances.

Damond, who was white, was shot by a police officer when she approached his squad car minutes after calling 911 to report a possible rape in the alley behind her home. That officer was convicted of murder.

The civil suit at issue now involves the 24-year-old Clark, who was shot in the head after a struggle with two officers. The county attorney declined to charge the officers, saying an investigation found Clark was shot after trying to get an officer’s gun.

William Starr, an attorney for Clark’s father, James Clark, said in court that the settlement offer in his case was “nominal.” He said he now wants a “transformative settlement” — echoing language used to describe the Damond settlement — and the case could go to trial.

Davis’ order called Mayor Jacob Frey, City Council President Lisa Bender, Police Chief Medaria Arradondo and City Attorney Susan Segal to court for the status conference.

Frey last week cited the murder conviction for former Officer Mohamed Noor, along with Noor’s failure to identify a threat before using deadly force, as reasons for the large payout to Damond’s family.


Wednesday May 8, 2019

 

Comments (0)




Wararka

DHAGEYSO:Dowladda Soomaaliya oo Go’aan Culus Kasoo Saaraya Dagaalka ay ku Heyso Kenya ?

May, 21, 2019
Warar hoose oo ay heleyso Warbaahinta Xushmo.com ayaa sheegaya in Madaxda Soomaaliya ay kulan deg deg ah ka ...

DHAGEYSO:Kenya oo Ka Hadashay Sababta ay U diiday Dal Ku Galka!!

May, 21, 2019
Dowladda Kenya ayaa ka hadashay Sababta ay fiisaha dalkeeda ugu diiday 3-mas’uul oo ka tirsan Dowladda Federaalka Soomaaliya. Wasiir ...

DHAGEYSO:Beyle oo Farriin u Diray Ganacsatada ay Hantida u Taalo Qurbaha ?

May, 21, 2019
Wasiirka Maaaliyada Soomaaliya Dr Abdiraxman Ducaale Beyle oo maanta warbaahinta kula hadlay Magaaladda muqdisho ayaa ka warbixiyay tirakoobka ...




.